Job Opportunity! Senior Design Strategy Manager
Senior Design Strategy Manager
Job type: Full Time
OFFICEUNTITLED (OU) is searching for a full-time Senior Design Strategy Manager to join our studio. Interested candidates should be either trained as an architect or urban designer with a minimum of 10+ years of professional experience with a particular interest in design strategy and project management. Previous large-scale (120,000sf -500,000sf +) commercial workplace, retail, and workplace amenity design or project management experience, as well as architectural graphic design, and design strategy experience, are a plus.
This position is best suited for a person who thrives in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment, values creativity, and exploration, and is passionate about project delivery and utmost quality. The selected candidate will join an OU team dedicated to developing and implementing a global design and planning framework for sites worldwide for a prominent technology company.
OU is passionate about the design and building of healthy, resilient, and inclusive places. We seek team members driven by ambition and idealism, pragmatic and realistic, active listeners, and team players. Ideal candidates should be open to learning and sharing new knowledge and committed to working with diverse teams and clients while possessing a professional attitude with a sense of humor.
The Senior Design Strategy Manager will report to the OU Principal-in-Charge and collaborate seamlessly with the OU Director leading design strategy efforts. OU’s design strategy team collaborates with all facets of our client’s internal global real estate design and experience team, and the role will require collaborating on planning, developing, and creating strategic solutions that integrate social function, practicality, context, and innovation in alignment with the client’s goals and mission. This includes solving spatial problems for circulation and movement, focusing on workplace and active mobility and staying abreast of trends and ideas in the urban and workplace environment, referencing precedents to communicate ideas, and applying this knowledge to current projects. The selected candidate will need to effortlessly move between client and project management needs and hands-on contribution to weekly project deliverables.
What You’re Gonna Do / Daily Activities
• Manage and schedule OU resources in collaboration with OU’s strategy team and our client’s stakeholder group
• Represent both OU and our client at meetings and help to set project goals, visioning, and strategic programming in collaboration with a larger team
• Steward client, project stakeholder, and other consultant communications.
• Lead collaborative workshops focused on gathering design, visioning, and programming feedback with other designers and project stakeholders
• Work with project teams to strategize on presentation material.
• Independently generate refined graphics to communicate ideas, including branding narratives, concept diagrams, planning/programming concepts, design and project process/timelines, and urban design strategies
• Create working design concepts and creative diagrams to communicate questions and ideas within the project team
• Ideate and graphically communicate concept alternatives for a range of project scales, from interiors to urban districts.
• Pitch and present design narratives, programming approaches, and urban design strategies with charisma and passion
The Senior Design Strategy Manager will be required to wear many hats and contribute to the project team in many ways. This includes balancing Project Management (25% of time dedicated to project scheduling & timelines / internal staffing / invoicing / etc.), Thought Leadership ( 25% of time dedicated to ideation / design strategy / workshops / narrative copy writing) and Production (50% of time dedicated to tactically implementing / crafting slides decks / graphic design & diagrams) in support of the following client needs:
1. Project Management & Support
Bring the client’s amenity experience goals to life by prioritizing OU resources and ensuring timelines and deliverable expectations are met. Our team’s role is the direct support, design management, and guidance of our client’s local project teams. OU facilitates goal setting, design and planning vision, stakeholder engagement and alignment, and design recommendations for specific project teams.
2. Global Framework
Develop and expand on a holistic foundation for urban and suburban corporate campus projects, focusing on amenity and hospitality planning. The framework will apply to various scales, from interior concept design to neighborhood-scale urban development. This work is site-agnostic and is intended to promote alignment across many project teams and stakeholders.
3. Analysis & Mapping
Gather and develop necessary information and analysis for Development & Operations teams to plan and deliver effectively and efficiently. OU helps coordinate detailed analysis and map existing and planned amenities for a given district to best support our client’s district development and operations teams with their strategic planning.
4. Development & Planning Strategy
Curate and coordinate urban design visions addressing both public and private amenity experiences, and alignment and analysis of existing, planned, or proposed projects. Work in direct collaboration with our client’s various local real estate teams to coordinate a thoughtful, intentional, and cohesive planning and distribution approach for the amenity experience based on the team’s Global Framework.
Qualified candidates should possess the following characteristics and skills.
• Curious and Creative
• Innovative and Explorative
• Critical and Exacting
• Self-driven and Willing (can-do)
• Generous Spirit
• Exhibits grace under pressure
• Ability to work with integrity, trust, and commitment; setting an example for others.
• Candidates must be fluent in English, spoken, and written (2nd language is an asset).
• Strong knowledge of MS Office and Gsuite (Slides, Meet, Gmail, etc.) are critical
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite is a plus
• Ability to manage an internal design team
• Ability to interface with multiple client contacts, department and project leaders
• Ability to coordinate with a local design, architecture and consultant and project management team
• Willingness to independently generate highly creative graphic presentation and branding layouts
following client’s and our presentation standards and software
• Ability to generate professional-level information graphics and concept diagrams
• Situational Awareness and Sense of Humor during collaborative sessions and workshops
• Professional Confidence in public speaking and all communication
• Ability to write branding, marketing, and project strategy copy for print
• On-demand ability to provide Relevant Design Precedents and Recommendations
• Capacity to Roadmap, Manage, and Document Non-Traditional Design Strategy Projects
Experience and Qualifications:
• Professional degree in Architecture or Urban Design
• Experience working with a leading American or International architecture office on design, strategy, and research-related projects
• Holds all legal permits and visas required to work in the USA
OU is an equal opportunity employer
• Competitive compensation package
• Health Insurance, dental and vision plans.
• Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays
Please email your resume, sample portfolio (under 6mb), and cover letter to work@OFFICEUNTITLED.com